Saturday, June 23, 2012

Burning in Heaven

My new record Burning in Heaven is out now on Noisy Arcade.  I started recording back in late September.  I delayed working on it for quite some time due to school and focusing on my other band.  It was originally going to be another drone/noise record but I backed out on the idea after listening to Belong's Common Era and wanted to create something more than just noise.
  
"Burning in Heaven" contains a sample of Michael Blessing also known as Michael Nesmith who was in the Monkees.  He was considered as the most talented one in the band and sort of an unsung hero.  There's a story where he once yelled at one of the label reps because he was upset over having no control in the studio.  He ended up punching a hole in the wall and yelled, "That could have been your face motherfucker".

"Watson 820" are the name of the pills I was prescribed after I got my wisdom teeth out last summer.  They're yellow tablets that contains oxycodone and aspirin.  I remember being incredibly excited and happy to take drugs for two weeks.  That's why the song has kind of a childlike feel to it.

"Orange Cream Dream" was recorded around February of this year.  The name comes from an ice cream flavor made by Kemp's.  It was basically all I ate when I was drugged out on oxycodone.  The reason why the song is so damn long is because A) I don't care. B) Just picture yourself high as hell and eating the same ice cream for two weeks.  It's probably my favorite thing I ever recorded.  It was originally going to be without guitar but I added drums because I wanted it to sound like Bowery Electric.

"Eagle Scout '61" is kind of an outtake from the Florida EP.  That EP was recorded during the worst summer I ever had.  I was coping with depression and I spent every day listening to Scott Walker records.  The title comes from a line Nesmith said on the Monkees television show.

"Alpine" This song came about when I was fucking around with the loop setting on my DigiDelay.  I was kinda going for a Grouper/Spectrum feel on this one.  It's noisy but you get the idea.

"Classic Climax" is the first song I recorded for the album.  I was inspired by all the artists I saw at the Milwaukee Noise fest so I wanted to create something terrifying.  I should contact the makers of Silent Hill and ask if they want it for their next game.

"Red Light" This song took me 6 hours to write, record, and mix.  I was having problems recording the drums hence why you can barely hear the floor tom.  I wanted this song to sound like Spacemen 3 so I added some vocals on top along with a lazy guitar solo.  I actually got an awful sore throat from singing due to the dust in the basement.

DOWNLOAD